Birdsville Races Air Package
Birdsville Races – nothing beats being in Birdsville for the first weekend in September! Join us and fly to the races “In Style” on Friday 31 August and return on Sunday 2 September 2018.
A unique and true outback race meeting! The first race meeting was held in September 1882 as an event for hack and stock horses with a few local spectators but and was largely attended by nearly 150 station owners, managers, stockmen and other employees.
The carnival now includes a 13-race program and boasts prize money of $200,000. The Birdsville Cup is a much sought after trophy and is famous throughout the world.
Situated three kilometres to the south east of the town the track itself is on a clay pan alongside the sand dunes. The track is 2000m in circumference with the longest race, 1600m Birdsville Cup starting in the back straight. All starts are on the course proper with the exception of the 1000m, which starts from a chute. Birdsville is one of four tracks in Queensland that run anti-clockwise!
Crowds of over 6000 racegoers celebrate the carnival each year enjoying two days of quality outback racing and three great nights of live entertainment. Other entertainment includes the RFDS Cocktail Party, RFDS Fun Run, Fashions on the Field, Fred Brophy’s Boxing Troupe and a variety of food vendors.
Great entertainment, class horseracing and premium hospitality makes for a fantastic event in the heart of Australia’s outback. Today it is among one of the best events on offer in Outback Queensland, winning many awards over the years.
Join us in 2018 and tick this great outback event off your bucket list!
Photography from the Birdsville Races courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland/Reichlyn Aguilar, Cathy Finch & Debbie Reid
- Fly in chartered Metro 23 aircraft from Brisbane to Birdsville & return
- Chartered Metro 23 aircraft flight from Brisbane to/from Birdsville - maximum 17 passengers
- Experienced guides Graham and Deb plus clear and interesting commentary
- 2 nights twin share tent accommodation including stretcher, sheets, doona, pillow & chair
- Entrance to the races on Saturday including the Corporate Marquee on Saturday 1 September 2018
- Big Red Sunset Tour including drinks and nibbles
- Birdsville Landing Tax